Tuesday 25 August 2015

My Kenya Fashion Awards Journey


13/06/2015


Please note that as I start to write this post I have no idea how I will rank as a student designer. I don't think that I'm the most talented but at the same time I don't think that I'm the least talented either. For some reason I have so much peace in me. Its an inner calmness. I'll admit, it does fluctuate at times, but I eventually find myself at this calm space where there is nothing but a smiling Mimmie basking in the sun and feeling a ka-breeze as I sip on a smooth glass of red. Something nice. "I'm doing this because I am in love with it. Every bit"

This peaceful place is like an assurance that no matter what happens I know that I will have tried my best.

Its two weeks in and the pressure is starting to check in just a little bit. Competitions can be a load of bullshit. (Read: very challenging) A bunch of people who know nothing about you as an artist, about your journey, your struggles or even about the butt-load of cash you've spent to present your artwork get to decide whose better than you. (I don't know if everyone feels like this but I do.)

That's how the world works though. These tests are meant to evolve us and bring personal growth.

*******

15/06/2015

In my opinion, everyone is an artist in their own right and no one is a better artist than the other because people relate to your work in a different way. People interpret it different. However; what makes you a successful artist is if you make people feel a certain way that you intend to and if you keep growing your skill.

*******

9/07/2015

My currently unnamed collection involves a few trends. Lets start with the color trends. Navy blue and green. Those have been HUGE on the runway this year meaning they will be in our wardrobes by next year. (If not already). These colors have a timeless elegance when put together so I think they should work really well.

Lets go down to the fashion trends. The main trend is the 50s. I think that was such a beautiful time to live in the fashion. If I had some wishes to blow, one would be to teleport to that age; where I could wear one of those super feminine a-line midi dresses with a pretty silk scarf tied under my chin, a pair of cat-eye sunglasses and to put the cherry on top; some red lipstick. So Audrey Hepburn right? (We love her!! We really do... Lol!) I'd probably also be cruising in a 1950 Nash Healey Roadstar (you know, if the world had been free of colonialism and all....) Anyway; I love everything about the 50s and I'm more than pleased that that fashion is coming back. That explains why it just has to be on my runway. At least I can live a little bit of that dream in 2015 right?

*******

21/07/2015

So yeah. Its a little exciting. Yaay 50s! Although it can sometimes be equally nerve wrecking. For the first time my family gets to see my work as a fashion designer. That doesn't mean that they haven't seen it, they just haven't seen it live on the runway. Imagine my pops whose invested immensely in this thing finally seeing what I did with that money. My mom whose invested her prayers in this getting to see if it was worth it. The rest of my family who expect everything to be as fabulous as I supposedly "always" look. My friends who expect nothing but the best; and most of all; my future clients watching the show or checking this blog to see how it was or how it felt like to be in my little shoes. Its crazy. Cuckoo. Madness!

Oh well. Ces't la vie loves! If I don't do this now when will I ever do it? Some things are meant to be seized like you'll be breathless without them. That's how I intend to do this. To seize this beautiful opportunity. This moment. Love it!

Anyway;I really wanna win this competition you know. That would be peachy. Really peachy man.. If I don't; its alright. I'm a constant work in progress.

Meanwhile, I will be here, chill and happy as usual. Free of any stress or anything of the sort. I need peace now more than ever. So far, so good. Now lets sit back and see how it all unfolds... :D

(Insert Mission Impossible tune right here)

*******

9/07/2015

I think I almost lost my mind yesterday. I got to the venue; already a little nervous. I look around, there's a small compact turn out. Everyone seems busy, trying to get everything ready. I take my designs to the rack. After a short while of socializing, all student designers are required to go dress their models as the show is about to start. My first one fits in perfectly. Second one.... wait... something is wrong with the jumpsuit... wait....

Well, there goes the zipper. Five wretched minutes before the show begins!!

So imagine me, running across town to my tailor's shop with my model (who didn't come for fitting) so as to fix my zipper. At that point I thought I was basically doomed and there was nothing I could do about it.

We got to the tailors and I couldn't stop pacing around, trying to take deep breaths, preventing tears from running down my face, preventing myself from cursing at such last minute challenges. I had the tightest knots in my stomach. I was basically losing my mind.

Fortunately, my girls were taking care of things in the venue while I waited for my zipper to be fixed. They kept me updated and encouraged not to give up.The zip was eventually fixed. We rushed back and made it on time for the show to begin.You can imagine my relief when I found out that there was a delay on the show. I almost broke into a jig. Honestly!!

Fortunately, the show went smoothly. My models did really really well on the runway. After the show, the finalists were announced and guess what?

I made it to the finals!!!






Now for the next step...
*******

25/07/2015

The final show was such a success. No hiccups this time. One of my models had been replaced but surprisingly, the jumpsuit fit the new model perfectly!

Its days after the competition now and I am finally rested. I have gained immense exposure and experience. I should mention that my fellow competitor, Joanne, won the competition. Her blue collection consisted of patchwork, fur and a variety of light blue and white printed fabrics. I especially loved the fur dress which was, get this, an old deconstructed jacket of hers!! That's hella creative... Congrats doll!

Joanne's designs

Although I would've loved to win; I am taking this as a "let the best man win" kind of situation. As I initially said, I don't think that I am the best designer in the world but clearly, I'm not pretty bad either. Lol!

This whole experience has exposed me to the insides of the fashion industry in the most practical way you can imagine. From trend research, to initial sketches, detailed sketches, mood boards, field research, fabric research, purchases, to working in teams consisting of tailors, models, photographers; back stage madness and the pressure from the audience.

Its a whirlwind of one event after the other. One moment you're on a cloud of bliss and the next you want to tear your hair off your scalp. Believe me guys, fashion is more than just glitz and glamour.

*******




Based on my experience, I have set new and more specific goals. I have learnt immensely and I am absolutely privileged to have made it to the finals. (I wasn't even sure i'd get there in the first place.) New doors are opening and all I can say is that big things are coming, my friends. I'm really excited!

I'd love to close this beautiful experience with utmost love and gratitude for my friends and family who have endlessly prayed, sacrificed money, time and effort to support me through this journey. I don't know what I would do without you guys. My greatest victory isn't having reached this far in my fashion career alone but having done it with you guys. I treasure that kind of love.




I'd also like to thank you guys for your lovely messages of encouragement on various social media platforms. Sometimes I never know how far my work is going until I hear from a stranger encouraging me or even ready to purchase! Its crazy... You guys are constantly reminding me how tremendously blessed I am.

Finally, a big cheers to all the KFA organizers for providing such a platform for student designers. This industry is very hard to break through and I feel that I am privileged to live in a period when we value rising together as a community.

I have thoroughly grown in the past couple of years and intend to keep growing in every way I possibly can.

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."
-Kurt Vonnegut

*******

I should probably also mention that my latest collection is up for sale! :)


Brand Name: MxM Africa
Designer: Matilda King'oriah
Collection Name: Avant Fifty
Trend Focus: Minimalism and Color Blocking.
Collection Focus: Contemporary 1950s style.
Design Focus: Military design; Pop and Rock culture.
Details: Leather, Gold and Cord.
Color Trends: Black, Navy blue and Green.


Au revoir for now!

xx
Mimmie


8 comments:

  1. I love the jumpsuit!
    All in all, all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Margiey. Holla if you ever want a custom piece for yourself :)

      Delete
  2. Proud of you! wishing you the very best Tilda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super proud of you...loved the pieces.

    http://wairimumurigi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks deary! It was a pleasure seeing you at the show... :)

      Delete
  4. Hey hun. Miss you big. I wish u all the best on your ventures. Hope to see you in one of these fine days

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey hun. Miss you big. I wish u all the best on your ventures. Hope to see you in one of these fine days

    ReplyDelete