Saturday 26 December 2015

Closing Remarks


Its a great pleasure, I must say, to find out that very many of my readers have been anticipating my last post of the year. While I haven't exactly had sleepless nights because of this matter, I have constantly been thinking about (not to mention the frequent reminders of) how long its been since I last published a post here. I shan't waste your time with useless banter on how busy I've been or how my next collection is sucking out every bit of my energy from me. I will, however, share a few musings I've had in regard to the ending of 2015 in the hope that it might inspire someone's 2016 out there. So let's get to it...

"Just because I liked something at one point in time doesn't mean I'll always like it, or that I have to go on liking it at all points in time as an unthinking act of loyalty to who I am as a person, based solely on who I was as a person. To be loyal to myself is to allow myself to grow and change, and challenge who I am and what I think. The only thing I am sure is unsure, and this means that I'm growing, and not stagnant or shrinking." (Author Unknown) 

Let the above quote sink in... ... ... ... Done? Okay. :)

The events in the past year have taught me a few things. My first recent realization is that while we sometimes feel like we're running, life is simply on a stroll. We wake up with over-achieving attitudes each morning and sleep at night sometimes having accomplished less than half the goals we set out for that day. Some of us would rather scold ourselves for the same while others pretend they didn't care and move on. (Either way is fine by the way.) 

This has, however, led me to believe that while I also overestimate what I can accomplish in a day, I often underestimate what I am capable of achieving in a year. Taking this year as a key example: I got an opportunity to not only meet but also work with one of the most renowned celebrity stylists in Kenya (Hey Connie!) as well as my unexpected achievement of being the first runners up in of one of the biggest fashion events this year (Kenya Fashion Awards). I can only say that I am more than humbled to achieve all that (and more) in just one year.

The funny thing is that I set no resolutions at the beginning of this year. I feel that resolutions limit our potential so I'm better off without them. The only thing I had in mind at that time was a feeling of where I wanted to be at the end of the year. I'm ecstatic to say that that feeling has been fulfilled. I feel the growth in me, the evolution; and its wonderful.

I learnt that bad moments for my ego were prime moments for my soul. I learnt not to use my darkness as a shield to hide behind or as an excuse to act irrationally but as a part that brings balance to my energy. I also learnt that changing myself changes my world. Most of all, (through Basquiat) I learnt that my knowledge and talent should be used as a gift to be free as compared to those who would use it as a gift to enslave. At this point I think its critical to mention that I'm not done learning. Quite frankly, I don't think anyone can ever be 'done learning' unless they're a lifeless corpse. I'm therefore growing and changing with every passing moment; eager to discover my next adventure...

This year has been a pleasantly dreadful and dreadfully pleasant roller-coaster ride. I have known and unknown friendships and relationships I once valued. I have been cheerful and woeful. Up and down. Black and white. You name it. While I enjoy throwing around all these antonyms and oxymorons to confuse some of you (Haha), there's one critical observation that I have made regarding my year: For all the times I felt like I had burned to ashes, I never lost the hope that from those ashes, something new would grow. 

(All images without a watermark are by Mishi. Thanks hun.)

I'm here now; and here is good. Its balanced. And I'm grateful.

Goodbye 2015.

xx
Mimmie

2 comments:

  1. I'm only getting to read this now but it's a great piece! 👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only getting to read this now but it's a great piece! 👌

    ReplyDelete