Monday 28 July 2014

My Hair Story

Straightened natural hair

First off, let me start off by telling you that my hair is extremely kinky. I have a 4c curl pattern so I pretty much grew up hating my hair and thinking I'd never have it any other way but relaxed or in braids and weaves. What a sad life to live...

This takes me back to a melancholic past filled with bad hairdressers who used to rant about my hair and treat it so roughly because they didn't take time to understand it. I remember the balancing tears I had every time I saw the metallic afro comb or the blow drier and how I desperately begged my mom for a perm until my she finally gave in. I got a perm and had relaxed hair for about 10 years of my life. I loved it! My hair had a lot of body, it was ebony black and luscious and I did so much with it. I'd switch between conrows, braids, hair cuts and when I grew older I started wearing weaves. I especially loved experimenting with different hair cuts and I always felt confident in how I looked.

To say the truth I had known about the natural hair movement since 2010 but I really didn't care for it until January 2013. I loved kinky hair on other people but I didn't think it would work on me so I just kept up with my tradition of experimenting with my permed hair. I had been braiding my hair since August 2012 so I had a lot of natural hair growth on January and I knew it was about time to schedule my regular perm appointment. This is how it looked like before.

Blankets and Wine January 2013

Unfortunately, I unexpectedly lost my uncle later that month so we had to start funeral arrangements. I remember thinking I'd have the same hairdo for the funeral (as shown in the picture above) but my mother was extremely against it saying it looked untidy. Eventually I decided to get a perm. That must be one of the worst decisions I ever made. When I got home from the salon that evening my hair had lost almost all its body and it looked like it had been stripped off! I had chemical burns because I trusted the hairdresser's complaint that I had to stay with the chemical on for a few more minutes due to the "hardness" of my hair. I lost so much length and my strands were so weak. At that moment, I loathed even the sight of my hair and that was when I firmly made the decision to go natural. My natural hair journey started.

Damaged hair

With a friend in Namanga (Feb 2013)

I obsessively read different blogs trying to gather all the information I could on my curl pattern, transitioning and natural hair products. I gained excessive knowledge on growing healthy hair and how to properly care for it to avoid breakage. I listened and watched a whole lot of videos and read widely on bloggers stories. My fro and I was the best blog ever! Aisha, the owner of the blog, greatly inspired me and her photos encouraged me to go on this journey with all my heart. She has the most intriguing hairstyles and stories. I am still a huge fan of her hair, her styles and her commitment to growing and maintaining healthy hair. I related with her so much because we have the same textured hair and she had the same qualms I had with my hair. I set on my transitioning journey studying my hair very keenly and how it reacted to different natural hair products.

Transitioning with my natural girlie

Eventually, I got sick of my weak ends after transitioning for about seven months. I woke up one morning and decided I was done stalling. I called my cousin and told her I was ready to cut it all off. She was so surprised and thought I wouldn't go through with it but got the shock of a lifetime when we met after work and I finally did the big chop! I was so scared and in extreme doubt but I slowly grew to love it.

The morning after the big chop

Everyone was so surprised as they didn't expect me to cut my hair. I vividly remember all the mixed reactions I got and how much they affected my feelings. Some thought I was really brave and I looked beautiful nonetheless while others were extremely discouraging and full of negativity. I was so doubtful of my decision and I realised that I had to seriously work on my self confidence. I changed my mindset and decided that I am beautiful no matter what hairstyle I have on; I am strong and will continue being strong through all the criticism and that I don't need people to decide for me what's good and what isn't. It seems like a small thing but I was so surprised at how serious matters to do with hair are! I finally saw India Arie's song, I am not my hair, in an extremely new perspective! I started to focus on the woman I am inside and I must confess, I have grown so much from this experience!

 Some of my protective styles:

Marley Hair updo

Senegalese twists

Box Braids

Marley hair twist updo

Faux Locs
I am very happily nappy. I love it! I still have a lot to learn but I thank God for how far I have come and how greatly I have grown. I shall be posting more on my hair, how I care for it and the products I use on it. I hope this story encourages someone out there. Remember to be confident through every experience, big or small, and that those who stick by you all through are your true friends.
 
Turban

I must stress that your mind is of utmost importance so feed it very very very carefully!

Have a beautiful productive week loves!!

xx
Mimmie

4 comments:

  1. I'm in one of the pics:-) You have to show me how to do the Marley updo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Mimmie, thanx so much for doing this post, i really relate. i love the faux locs where did you get them done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear... I got them done in Kenyatta market and I used yarn instead of kinky hair :)

      Delete