Friday 15 August 2014

Is there any light at that frosted candy coated tunnel?

Source

I am a recovering addict currently in sugar-rehab. I know, that sort of sounds hilarious but I'm not kidding! I have been constantly high on yummy treats for quite a while now. That yummy bar of chocolate, ice cream, fizzy Haribos e.t.c. Heck, I am craving those exact things right now! Haha!

Every day I'd walk from school through town, innocently going about my day and the next thing I'd realize that I've branched off into a supermarket and I'm at the till paying so much money for little sweet treats; giving in to the clutches of my desire. I simply couldn't resist it until one day I realized how much flab I had gained from my trips to the candy isle. In order to lose this weight, look good and feel good, I had start by finding solutions to counteract my cravings.

Here is what happens, when you constantly eat sugar, your pancreas is forced to produce massive amounts of insulin eventually making your body less sensitive to sugar and gradually building up a resistance to it. Just as an alcoholic needs more liquor so that they can feel high; in the same way, a sugar addict needs more sugar so that they can feel its effects. How crazy is that? I had never thought of it that way!

Here are the steps I took to start my recovery:

1. Sugar Rehab
The only way to curb your addiction is to drastically cut back on sugar. According to Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D., it takes five days to fully overcome sugar cravings and three of those days are absolutely dreadful. After you recover, you find that a little sugar goes a long way.

2. Don't skip any meals.
By eating little portions of healthy food often, you prevent your blood sugar from dropping and you consequently crave less sugar. My cousin Kendi, currently studying nutrition, says that you need five meals a day. Breakfast, a small snack between breakfast and lunch, lunch, another snack and finally supper.

3. Cut out the obvious sugars
Treats that are heavy on sugar such as candy, ice cream and soft drinks are loaded with processed sugars and artificial sweeteners. Taking soda as an example; if you drink one bottle every day try drink one every other day and then one once a week and finally not at all. These sugars are usually converted straight to fat in your body so doing this will reduce fat production.

4. The 100 rule.
If you simply cannot resist the urge to devour a candy bar, stick to 100-150 calorie portions. Its very easy to calculate this using the nutritional information at the back of your candy bar. Just make a conscious effort to do it and you will soon see amazing results.

5. Indulge right after dinner
I read that late night ice cream gives you an unsullied sugar rush so its okay to have a small scoop right after dinner so as to reduce large production of insulin. Its a way of giving in a little and it works just fine for me.

6. Fruit, fruit and more fruit.
Fruits such as bananas, strawberries, apples e.t.c. alleviate sugar with fibre and a whole lot of antioxidants which are extremely beneficial to your body.

This chart that summarizes all this info:

Source

In a nutshell, the way to win the eating game is to choose the healthiest food and in the widest variety possible. Keep in mind that in order to loose weight, 80% is based on nutrition while 20% is based on a constant work out. The right snacks at the right times can also make a huge difference in your body as seen in the video below:



If you are a sugar addict and you're going through these challenges, do not worry my darling, there is clearly light at the end of that frosted candy coated tunnel :)

Have a happy healthy weekend!

xx
Mimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment