Wednesday 6 August 2014

The Cornrow Updo Review

Picture by Lola
Most of the things you do, consume or come into contact with have effects on your hair. Your diet, the hairstyles you wear, how you treat your hair, even the weather affects the health and growth of your hair. I am sure that we all want thick and healthy manes and for that reason, we have to practice the right lifestyle to ensure this. Healthy hair certainly requires time and effort my friends! I have been a little bit puzzled with my mane's needs lately. I'm fighting dryness and have noticed that my usual hair care routine isn't working out as it always has. Its definitely time to change it up!

One thing I came to learn is that as hair grows it changes its needs and its response to different products. When I had just done the big chop I experimented and found a few products that worked but I now realize that the same things just don't work any more. I am no product junkie by the way but I do realize that I need to change it up once in a while to ensure that my mane is healthy.

My current protective style is cornrows and as I had stated in my last post, I utterly love the style! I used a synthetic braid called the Abuja braid whose texture is quite soft. I wanted the cornrows to be long and therefore had the long Abuja (colour no.1) installed. I had no issue with tightness or pain whatsoever because my hairdresser did them exceptionally well. The most startling thing was that I used four and a half packets of braids which I definitely did not expect but the thickness and length my cornrows resulted to me having to use as many packets. After a few days however, I noticed that my hair had been drying out quite a lot even in the protective hairstyle so I decided to revamp my hair regimen; adding more moisture into it. My daily spritz initially consisted of one part coconut oil, two parts water and a few drops of glycerine.

My current spritz now has:
  • Water (quarter of my spritz bottle)
  • 30 ml of Fantasia i.c. leave-in conditioner.
  • 10 ml of glycerine.
  • 30 ml of pure olive oil.
  • 15 ml of pure coconut oil.
(To make it easier for you to understand; 1 tablespoon is equivalent to 15 ml while 1 teaspoon is 5 ml)
My daily spritz in my spritz bottle and Organics Fertilizer Hair Therapy

Your tresses thrive in moisture rich environments and the best way to do this is to give them enough water. This is why my spritz has a lot of water in it. Glycerine is a humectant meaning that it helps in the retention of water or moisture in your hair. It also helps to reduce hair breakage of natural hair. Olive oil is full of antioxidants that moisturise the scalp and can even help to eliminate dandruff. Coconut oil penetrates through the hair shaft hence hydrating your hair from within its strands. Lastly, the above oils help to seal in moisture in your hair. I treat my hair twice a week with the Organics Fertilizer Hair Therapy which is a stimulant for thinning hair. I have been using it mainly on the nape of my head because I realized that my hair wasn't as thick there as it is on the rest of my head. (I shall do a review on the product in a few months). Are you guys having the same issues? If so what are your hair regimens?

I'm crossing my fingers for the best results :)

I just started a new facebook page by the way. Click the link, like and share!

I hope that you are having a lovely week thus far friends.
Lots of love!

xx
Mimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment